Welcome to Historic Occoquan, Virginia
& to HistoricOccoquan.com
Often duplicated. Never replicated.
Historic Occoquan is a community rich in history and consists of residents, artists, shops, restaurants, businesses, and a local town government.
It's outdoor dining,
ghost walks, town boat dock and more are
located just 11 miles south of the Capital Beltway on I-95 at exit
160 and then north on Gordon Blvd/Rte 123 to Commerce Street.
Directions to Historic Occoquan are available at
Occoquan is located at 38°40′58″N, 77°15′39″W and is accessible
by car, boat, raft, bike, and foot traffic. Access is
available by road, river and the
East Coast Greenway.
Occoquan is also conveniently located just minutes from the
Amtrak Auto Train stop in Lorton, VA. Unlike a plane or
the car, the auto train provides onboard entertainment, a lounge car
and a dining car as it takes both you and your vehicle on a stress
free journey to Florida. So when you next consider a trip to
Florida, please remember your opportunities of shopping and dining
in Historic Occoquan before you depart or upon your return.
Occoquan can be explored by this aerial view where you can click
on shops and business for more information or you can access an
of the town which includes a little bit of history and is provided by the Business Guild of Occoquan.
For even more history, the
Historic Occoquan Self Guided Walking Tour has been made
available with the permission of LaVerne Carson.
Read about the current masthead celebrating
the Historic Occoquan Chocolate Walk
To keep informed of what is happening in Occoquan, click on the RSS
icon to subscribe to Historic Occoquan's RSS Feed.
Historic Occoquan Community Events
for this month & Beyond
Occoquan.com can now be viewed on your phone
by going to
Pictures of some of the
Historic Occoquan Town
Markers are now online. Read about some of the town
history as more markers are added to the site.
If you would like to look more quickly for specific items, participating
Occoquan Merchants and items that they provide can be found using
the Google custom search feature below:
The "Just say 'Hi' Campaign"
- Show your support for the "HistoricOccoquan.Com"
website and help maintain the
friendly Occoquan lifestyle. When next in town, don't
forget to smile and say 'Hi". Having a sparkle in your
eye is optional.
Local Poet Leo Smith now has some of his work on-line
The Historic Occoquan Theatre
is now On-Line!
Watch events that have occurred in Historic Occoquan that you
may have missed....
During the Month:
Serendipity is offering: 10% discount
coupons on their site, for entire purchase
- They also are reporting on their
- Every Tuesday--military spouses
get 20 percent off.
- Every Thursday--senior citizens
(60 and older) get 20 percent off
is featuring fabric woven in their
shop that they make into fashionable clothing
and boutique items. See their site for
Yours Stained Glass Studio is holding classes to teach
how to create a copper-foil stained glass panels of your
choice. Call or Email to schedule.
Preservation Station is providing -
- Furniture Painting and
- Learn the basics of restoring, painting, distressing
and finishing furniture and home furnishings.
- Classes are hands–on and include all supplies and
your choice of a mirror, shelf or frame (etc.) to finish
and take home.
- Fee is $50 per person or $175 for a group of 5 ($35
- Free Chalky Painting Mini-Class
- With any paintable purchase, receive small jar
of TPS Chalky Paint w/brush and quick lesson. TPSCP
is UV–protected for indoor or outdoor items.
Available are mirrors, frames, baskets,
architectural cast-iron and tin stars, shelves, wall
art, candlesticks, bowls and (yes!) more— all from
- Drop in Upcycling & Restoration Clinics
- There's always something new going on!
- Drop in (7 days 12 - 5pm) to get a list of
- Groups of 15+ possible w/ tea room.
- All clinics are just $10 to $15 per (+tea if
applicable) and most include all supplies and your
January 3 (Tuesday) - February 6 (Monday)
Turning Over A New Leaf
- The exhibit features rare and unique works of art that
- Colored Pencil Drawings by David Cochran of
Alexandria, VA, and
- Jewelry by Tyler Kulenguski of Annandale, VA.
- The gallery is open 1100 Hours - 1700 Hours (11:00
AM – 5:00 PM) daily and
- is located at 309 Mill Street in Historic Occoquan,
- For more information contact the gallery at
January 28 (Saturday) - March 4 (Saturday)
Celebrating 31 Year of Art
- The Annual One-of-a-Kind Sale begins on Saturday,
January 28 and continues through Sunday, March 4th.
- A customer favorite, this once-a-year Inventory Sale
features original art at 10-70% off original prices.
- For further information call The Loft Gallery
- The Loft Gallery is located at 313 Mill Street, Occoquan
VA and is open
- Tuesday - Friday 1100 Hours - 1600 Hours
(11:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
- Saturday 1100 Hours to 1700 Hours (11:00 AM - 5:00
- Sunday 1200 Hours - 1700 Hours (12:00 PM - 5:00 PM)
February 1 ( Wednesday) - February 28 (Tuesday)
- Fire up your passion for art, and get ready for
Valentine’s day with some amazing handmade art!
- The featured artist, Ruth Ensley will host a reception
on Saturday, February 11 from 1-5 pm with wine, and
- Ruth is an award winning artist, creating art
professionally since 1966 in a broad range of media
including collage, batik, mixed media, photography,
jewelry, and currently watercolor. She has been
featured in numerous solo and group shows in Binational
Centers, galleries, private collections and exhibits in
the United States, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Madagascar,
Mexico, Honduras, Paraguay and Costa Rica. In 2010 Ruth
began once again to exhibit in group and solo shows in
Virginia and Maryland.
- ARTIST’S STATEMENT:
- My subjects have ranged from non-objective
designs, people, landscapes, birds of different colors
including birds and chickens with an attitude, to flora
and fauna with an exotic flavor. I have spent over 12
years in tropical countries five of which were in Costa
Rica. I became enthralled with the lush greens of
tropical foliage and the vibrant colors of exotic birds
and flowers. The media of watercolor allows me to show
the beautiful transparencies, textures and the luxuriant
color that one might see in a cloud forest or a rain
forest. I have always been inspired by birds exotic or
otherwise. They make my heart sing. I hold the hope
that my paintings aid in focusing on what would be lost
because of the shrinking forests of the world and the
unique creatures that live within these forests. I
strive to show my interpretations of what I see and feel
as I view these tropical treasures.
ART A La Carte, an artist-owned cooperative gallery and
gift boutique, opened August 1, 2010. It showcases the work
of 26 top artists producing a kaleidoscope of gift items
including photography, original fine art and prints,
one-of-a-kind glass items, jewelry, wood work and textiles.
Artists are juried and selected for their edgy vision that
compliments the personality of the gallery.
- Gallery Hours: 11:00 Hours to 17:00 Hours (11:00 AM
to 5:00 PM) 7 days a week
February 3 (Friday)
February 7 (Tuesday)
- Another action packed
Town Hall meeting starting at 1900 Hours (7:00 PM)
- Open your wallets and lock down your property...
go see what they are up to at Town Hall.
February 11 ( Saturday)
- Its that time of year again for the
Annual Historic Occoquan
- From 11:00 Hours to 16:00 Hours (11:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
- Enjoy grazing through town tasting Chocolate
- Over 35 shops participating.
- Register for a Chance to win a necklace of fresh
water dyed Chocolate Pearls.
- No purchase necessary.
Art A La Carte is hosting an Artist Reception for their
talented and gifted artist Ruth Ensley!
- From 12:00 Hours to 16:30 Hours (12:00 PM - 4:30 PM)
- Fantastic opportunity to meet Ruth, who is a member
of the Potomac Valley Watercolorists, the Springfield
Art Guild, the Vienna Arts Society, the Virginia
Watercolor Society and part of the Art A La Carte
Gallery in Occoquan, VA.
- ART A
La Carte, an artist-owned cooperative gallery and
gift boutique, opened August 1, 2010. It showcases the
work of 26 top artists producing a kaleidoscope of gift
items including photography, original fine art and
prints, one-of-a-kind glass items, jewelry, wood work
and textiles. Artists are juried and selected for their
edgy vision that compliments the personality of the
- Gallery Hours: 11:00 Hours to 17:00 Hours (11:00 AM
to 5:00 PM) 7 days a week
February 17 (Friday) - February 20 (Monday)
Golden Goose is having a George Washington
- 40% off Selected Byers’ Choice Carolers
- 40% off Selected Possible Dreams Santas
- 40% off Selected Fontanini Figures
- 40% off Selected Décor Items
- 50% off Retired Dept. 56 Village Buildings,
Accessories and Retired Snowbabies
- See their website for details
Prince William County Community
- In an emergency situation, PWC will send important
alerts, notifications and updates right to your e-mail and
mobile device(s). Registration is free at the
If you are a resident of Prince William County, registration with
the County's Community Alert Network will allow you to receive
county alerts on your mobile phone.